Sunday, June 15, 2014

Korean Food Hunt (2014)

9:34 AM Posted by human No comments
Here are some of the must try Korean food / food I'd tried in Korea.

#1 Naengmyeon (냉면 - Cold Noodles)


There are different kind of Naeng Myeon available and the one I chose was Mul Naengmyeon. (물냉면) If you like it hot and spicy, I would recommend the Bibim Naengmyeon.(비빔 냉면) In Korea, all your meals comes with Banchan (반찬), which are small side dishes that can be refilled at no charge at all. I was being served with some picked radish and kimchi as side.



Mul Naengmyeon. (물냉면) - 5000won.
I think this is one of the best thing I had eaten in Korea in summer. This is so cold and refreshing! The cold broth comes with half an egg, thinly shredded cucumber, radish, buckwheat noodles sprinkled with sesame seeds. There is also some mustard. (green wasabi on the left edge of the bowl) I added a little too much and it cleared my nose! Honestly, there won't much ingredients in it but it tasted so delicious. The buckwheat noodles are so chewy and savory! Yum.

#2 Bibimbap (비빔밥)



Bibimbap (비빔밥) - 5000won

#3 Bulgogi Dolsot Bibimbap (불고기돌솥비빔밥)


I love bibimbap. This one was alright. I'd tasted better bibimbap in Singapore though. Filled with seafood, leafy greens, beansprouts, black fungus and sprinkled with sesame seeds. However, I really love the potato side dish.


Bulgogi Dolsot Bibimbap (불고기돌솥비빔밥) - 6000won


This one is really worth it! With an additional 1000won, the dish was served in a hot stone bowl and comes with various side dishes and a bowl of hot soup. Additional gochujang bottle was given in case it wasn't spicy enough.


Sizzling deliciousness. I think the hot stone bowl gives it a slight charred taste to the rice. The ground beef, leafy greens, fungus, egg and Gochujang fusion. I think in the future I will only order dolsot bibimbap as it makes a whole lot of difference!


Kimchi and some corn and carrots in generous amount of mayonnaise


Kimchi Dubu soup (Kimchi and Tofu Soup)

#4 Tteok Manduguk (떡만두국 - Rice Cake and Dumpling Soup)


Tteok Manduguk (떡만두국) - 5500won
If you love dumplings and rice cake like me, why not have both? It is basically a warm bowl of egg drop soup (beaten egg in hot soup) with vegetables, dumpling and tteok (rice cake). I love the generous portion of flavourful dumpling (like seriously tons of dumpling with a lot of chives and meat) and chewy tteok topped with seaweed. Highly recommended!

#5 Korean Fried Chicken


Korean fried chicken with a bottle of coke, pickled radish, sauces (chilli and mustard), and a bowl of korean crackers. - 27 000 won. In Korea, you have to try the korean fried chicken. Chicken and Meokju (beer) However, we didn't really like beer so we had some cola.


A really huge portion of fried chicken on the left with the the sweet and spicy sauce and on the right plain. I don't know what they use in the sauce but it taste like sweet and spicy chilli sauce with a little marmite. I like the plain one dipped in mustard.

#6 Lotteria


Bulgogi burger set meal - Bulgogi burger, french fries and coke - 5300won


I figured I have to try some Korean fast food while I am in Korea. I don't really like the burger though, the meat patty is kind of slimy with a lot of mayonnaise (does not taste like the mayo I used to eat) French fries are really dry too. It is kinda of a disappointment. Maybe it is just that outlet. I'll be sure to try it a second time before concluding it is bad!

#7 Have cup of tea or coffee while chilling in a cafe!



I was chilling in Chloris Tea & Coffee cafe (second floor) in Hongdae! Really great ambiance and the ladies at the counter were polite. My cup of Lemon grass tea (I can't remember the price but I think it was around 5000won?) The prices of coffee and tea in Korea is about the same in Singapore. Around 5-7bucks. I really love this lemonade like drink with subtle hint of lemongrass fragrance! If you have time, chill here while reading a book.

#8 Krispykreme

Yes you read it correctly, Krispykreme! As many of you know that the Krispykreme donuts in Singapore is way overpriced. An original glazed doughnut will cost you S$2.60 and even if you buy in a dozen (you might not want to eat so many), it still cost you around $1.90. In Korea, you can get a doughnut for 1000won. (Around S$1.10-S$1.30)



Original glazed - 1000won
Fluffy fried goodness with sugar. Sinful but heavenly!

Fifa World Cup is ongoing and how about a chocolate doughnut with some icing? Soccerball - 1200 won
This is a little too sweet. However, I do love the lemon gooey filling in the middle. Adds a little sourness to neutralize the sweetness.


There are definitely more yummylicious food in Korea but here are some of the ones I tried during my short stay in Korea. Do let me know what good food to try in Seoul!

0 comments:

Post a Comment