Sunday, June 8, 2014

Backpacking Alone: GS25 is your good friend

12:21 AM Posted by human , , No comments
When backpacking alone especially for many days/months, you might just want to crawl into a cheap place to settle your meal. Here comes the convenience store to your rescue. Unlike the convenience store in Singapore, most of the convenience store in Korean has got tables, chairs and tissue paper etc. available.


Ottogi - Ramen Bokki (a.k.a Rappoki) - 475kcal - 1000won

I was craving for some instant noodles that night. Basically Rappoki is ramen in tteokbokki sauce which is a little sweet and spicy at the same time. I like how they put the cooking time on the lid - "4 minutes". This task was number #19 on Seoulistic's bucket list - 101 things to do in Korea - "Eat ramen at a convenience store like in a Korean drama".



In my opinion, all korean ramen taste pretty much the same in terms of thickness and texture. (Maybe it's just me) It is the soup base/seasoning that differs. I was sweating by the end of this bowl of Ramen Bokki. Pretty spicy!


Ottogi - Jin Ramen (Hot) - 480kcal - 950 won.

I bought this because it was on promotion! The only Korean instant noodles I have tasted is by Nong shim and this tasted very similar to the spicy mushroom flavour that they have. I love this soup base.



You can see the mushroom and vegetable bits here. 

During my stay there, I have only seen high school kids eating ramen during the afternoon/night. The lady at the cashier is very friendly and seem to know a lot of kids that popped by.



Haneul -Bokkeum Kimchi - 120kcal. I can't remember how much this cost.

I bought this as a side dish to go with my spicy ramen.This pack of kimchi comes with really soft spam. (a.k.a luncheon meat) The spam made the whole thing really gooey and slimy. I should have gotten the normal Kimchi but I was feeling a little adventurous.




Sahmyook Foods - Black bean calcium (검은콩 칼슘두유) - 140kcal - 900 won

I was curious how black bean milk differs from soya milk. After drinking it, I realized it tasted like thick soya milk but with a burnt smell?  I can't explain it perhaps you might want to try it out yourself. I can taste some bean dregs in it so this is not exactly smooth. However, the most nutritious part of a bean are the dregs that were left behind if you don't mind its texture.


Chicken Patty on Bibimbap - 250kcal - 1000won. I mean what could go wrong with a chicken patty?

The patty is tender and taste like some sweet barbecue/ teriyaki sauce goodness with bibimbap on the bottom. The rice was not spicy at all but a little overcooked. It was delicious though.



Having some Samgak Kimbap (삼각김밥 - Triangle Kimbap) - 2 for 1500won.

Bulgogi (불고기)
Marinated Pork with Gochujang (제육 볶음) - 298kcal

Really thoughtful packaging - I can separate the two samgak kimbap along the middle line of the sticker.

I love the tender bulgogi. (beef) The marinated pork with gochujang was a little spicy.



Woong Jin (웅진) - Honey & Red Ginseng Drink 꿀홍삼 드링크 - 135kcal - 1300 won.
I tried the Honey water drink (1200 won) but it tasted too sweet. This one is not really a pleasant drink as there is a ginseng taste but the sweetness of the honey kind of made it better. I downed a couple of this for the first few days and it helped relieve my bad cough and flu a little. They do have warm versions on the warm rack but it costs 2000 won more.


Maeil - Apple Yogurt. - I can't remember the price of this.


Yogurt with apple bits in it. I personally find it a little thick to be considered a drink.


Petitzel - White Coco - 95kcal
Petitzel - Caramel (Milk & Egg Pudding) -2000won


For those who watched "You who came from the stars", the lead actor Kim Soon Hyun shot a CF promoting the pudding last year.






The pudding comes with a pack of caramel syrup. Pretty classy packaging.


I'd tasted a few custard pudding which are lumpy but this one is really soft and smooth. Sweet pudding with caramel sauce which is not too bitter. Sadly there was only one flavour available in this outlet. I would love to try the other flavours.


Petitzel - White Coco - 95kcal
All I can taste when I eat this was the Nata de coco. The pudding was just sweet and only has a very mild coconut taste. Only if it has a stronger coconut flavour to it. It is pretty smooth though.


That's about it for my adventures in GS 25!

0 comments:

Post a Comment